Exploring Cannabis Industry Real Estate Impacts & Issues
Wendel Rosen attorney Rob Selna will co-present “Exploring Cannabis Industry Real Estate Impacts & Issues” on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 in the David I. Wendel Conference Center, 1111 Broadway, Oakland, California.
Whether you agree with legalization of cannabis or not, the fact is that with California’s 2016 passage of medical cannabis regulations and 2017 voter approval of recreational cannabis laws, more marijuana businesses are looking for real estate in industry-friendly jurisdictions, more jurisdictions within the state are becoming friendlier, and more landlords find themselves willing to capitalize on the opportunity to rent their commercial spaces out at well-above-market rent.
Continued illegality of marijuana under federal law, however, creates unique obstacles for these prospective tenants. These challenges can also translate into potential landmines for landlords and brokers attempting to treat these companies the same way as their ordinary commercial tenants.
The Program Will Include Discussion Of:
- Land use, zoning and permitting requirements for several East Bay cities, including Oakland;
- California’s local-state dual licensing system;
- Important differences in the regulatory schemes at play in California’s 58 counties and 482 municipalities;
- The unique challenges prospective tenants in the cannabis industry face in obtaining access to basic finance tools;
- The dearth of options for obtaining adequate insurance coverage;
- The dangers of operating without insurance expressly underwritten to cover cannabis liability; and
- How the new presidential administration may shift the landscape.
- Registration: 4:30 PM – 5:00 PM
- Program, followed by networking: 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM
Cost: This is a complimentary event for clients and guests of Wendel Rosen.
RSVP: Space is limited. Advanced registration is required. To reserve your spot, please send an email by April 4 to firstname.lastname@example.org