Wendel Rosen is home to a talented team of environmental lawyers. The attorneys in this group handle matters for both public and private sector clients on a variety of complex compliance, permitting, negotiation, investigation, remediation and litigation matters. Frequently dealing with local, state and federal regulatory agencies and staff, the team helps clients to navigate through this highly technical landscape.
Clients of this practice include commercial and residential real estate developers, shopping center owners, public entities, construction companies, and real property buyers and sellers, as well as companies from manufacturing, industrial, agricultural, chemical, pharmaceutical, technology, automotive and retail industries.
Typical matters handled by the firm's environmental attorneys include:
- Contaminated site investigation, cleanup, closure and health risk management
- Development of environmentally impaired property
- Identifying and addressing issues in real property, asset and business sales (“due diligence”)
- Underground and above ground storage tank compliance, closure and reimbursements
- Storm water permitting and compliance requirements
- CERCLA cost recovery and contribution litigation
- Solid and hazardous waste landfills
- Wetlands and endangered species
- CEQA and NEPA compliance
- Air, water and hazardous waste compliance and permitting
- Resources Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) compliance and litigation
- Toxic tort and stigma damage litigation based on exposures to contaminated sites
- Proposition 65 compliance and defense
- Defense of environmental citizen suits
- Emergency planning, reporting and community right-to-know
- Environmental insurance coverage, claims analysis and cost recovery
- Occupational safety and health compliance, enforcement, appeals and variance proceedings
The attorneys are also experienced in dealing with unusual matters, such as addressing environmental concerns that arise during bankruptcy proceedings.
We have a "can-do" approach.
Along the Oakland estuary and waterfront, we have assisted parties with the remediation of contaminated property and the recovery of associated costs, as well as with lawsuits and administrative actions to fund the remediation and obtain site closure. We have represented public entities/municipalities in cost recovery, compliance and CEQA negotiations. We have assisted with the redevelopment of former industrial, infill and “brownfield” sites. One of the largest basic chemical and agricultural chemical manufacturers in the world has used Wendel Rosen attorneys with respect to CERCLA claims on numerous sites in California and Hawaii, including the successful recovery of response costs against the United States Government.
Other clients include several publicly traded real estate investment trusts, a number of shopping center owners, several scrap metal facilities, one of the largest cold storage and logistics companies in the United States, a manufacturer of skin care and hair care products, an independent ice cream manufacturer, and a nonprofit farmlands and open space foundation. The firm also represents several individuals and partnerships, including those who own or purchase real property and seek advice about the liabilities they have inherited or would like to avoid.
Wendel Rosen attorneys take a "can-do" approach, looking for practical solutions to accomplish each client's business goals.